3 Perfect Gifts from The English Market
You may have been busy with work or maybe just procrastinated, but you can take care of the rest of your gift list with one stop – Cork's English Market. Yes, we're serious. The queues at the English Market (and other local retailers) are significantly shorter than those at the multinational chain stores, plus you can walk around with a hot cocoa in-hand. So, here are 3 perfect gifts from The English Market in Cork City. You just need to bring your list!
Why the English Market?
1. Centrally located near buses and parking garages.
2. No queues. You won't be rethinking your life's choices under florescent lighting in a chain store if you shop at the English Market.
3. Supporting the local economy. Small businesses will continue to exist only if we shop locally.
4. The history. The historic Market has been trading since 1788. That is older than the White House, the Eiffel Tower, and both Statues of Liberty!
5. Authenticity. It is one of the most authentically Cork experiences you can have. Which is more Instagrammable – the queue at a chain store or strolling the aisles of the English Market?
6. Our shop is open and click-and-collect is still possible. We have something for everyone and it isn't just another scarf or selection box.
1. Our Breakfast Sets
You could cross at least couple people off your list with our limited edition box sets (available for click-and-collect). They come in their own compostable/recyclable/reusable presentation boxes. Several variations at the moment, so you can give a different design to each person. Here are three on offer in our online shop, but there are others available exclusively in our English Market shop:
- Green Heart Espresso Cup and Hot Chocolate Melt €30
- Mackerel Mug & Small Square Plate with Hot Chocolate Melt €55
- Red Heart Mug & Small Square Plate with Hot Chocolate Melt €55
You could purchase any of these sets and pair it with a tin of home-baked biscuits to make your gift the favourite.
2. Create Your Own Gift Hamper
Maybe you want to make your own bespoke gift hamper with goodies from the English Market. Pair one of our Breakfast Sets or Bowls with other goodies from the Market. Anyone on your list would love that gift, substitute locally roasted coffee or speciality tea for hot chocolate depending on the recipient's taste. We have a helpful blog post listing gifts under €50 for everyone on your list. With a variety of gourmet treats and beverages, it's a delicious and thoughtful gift. Here are a few shops in the Market...
- The Chocolate Shop for any and all chocolates you can imagine. Uncommon brands and flavours for your sweet tooth.
- The Roughty Foodie has local jams, baking kits, and chocolates.
- Mr. Bell's has spice sets and seasonings as well as specialty imports. Any of our bowls would go well with a set of spices for gourmet popcorn or a bottle of obscure hot sauce.
3. English Market Gift Vouchers
When time is tight and you don't even have time to go to the shops, it's time to rely on gift vouchers and, yes, the English Market has those too. English Market Gift Vouchers are available to purchase from Coffee Central, The Sandwich Stall, and The Management Office in the English Market for any value in denominations of €10. They're redeemable at any and all stalls in the English Market, including our own!
Don't Forget to Treat Yourself Too
With all the time you'll save shopping in one place (and the good karma from supporting local businesses), you will have earned a break. Take a well-earned break to savour your success with local treats, like a cup of hot cocoa or mince pie from one of the English Market's cafes. Yes, the place really does have everything. Treat yourself while supporting the community.
Remember, it's the thought that counts. Opt for gifts that showcase your consideration for the recipient's tastes and interests. A thoughtful, locally sourced gift will always be cherished more than a rushed generic one. You can never go wrong with gifting one of our mugs. They are an instant favourite with the gift recipient and they'll think of you every time they use it.
By embracing the local scene, staying focused on thoughtfulness, and maintaining a calm mindset, your last-minute Christmas shopping can become a joyful and meaningful experience.